To start the screening process you should:
- Seat patient on examination couch/chair
- Inform the patient that you are going to examine their feet to check their circulation, sensation and any other risk factors that they might have which could lead to a foot problem related to their diabetes
- Request patient remove shoes and socks/stockings and assist if required
Ascertain the following:
- Has the person with diabetes been experiencing any problems with their feet since their last screening appointment?
- Has the person with diabetes noticed any changes to their feet since their last screening appointment?
- Is the person with diabetes complaining or any podatric-type problems (e.g. corns, calluses, nail problems, etc…)?
- Does the person with diabetes attend a podiatrist regularly?
04: The procedure (NHS… Significant callus (3/16)